Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Egg Carton Christmas Tree by JDaniel4's Mom

Today's guest post is written by JDaniel4's Mom....I love her blog! She is so creative and does so many fun and crafty things.  I'm loving the craft that she came up with for this book as well.
 
I recently read the books Duck and Goose Christmas by Tad Hills to my son. The two main characters are struggling with wanting each other to do different things one winter day before Christmas. Goose just wants to enjoy Christmas fun and joy by sledding, making snow ducks,  skating and so much more. Duck wants to get the Christmas tree decorated and be done with it if only he can get Goose to stop playing.


Duck spends the whole book trying to get Goose on task. He can’t enjoy the fun Goose is having when there are thing to be completed.

My son JDaniel and I can be like Duck and Goose. How? It is so easy for me to get caught in just wanting to get Christmas activities done and move on to the next thing on my  list. JDaniel is a lot like Goose he wants to enjoy the moment.


Creating the Christmas tree I am going to show you how to make is the perfect example. JDaniel wanted to explore all the decorations for the tree, mix them in a bowl, and build cakes with the supplies. I was ready to glue them down.

Materials:

2 Cardboard egg cartons
1 Piece of cardboard
Green paint
Brown paint
Assorted decorations

Directions:

1. Arrange egg cups for cardboard egg cartons on a piece of cardboard. One cup in the top row, two in the second, three in the third, four in the fourth, five in the fifth, and six in the bottom row.



2. Glue the egg carton pieces to the cardboard.

3. After letting the glue dry, cut around the edge of the egg cup tree to get rid of extra cardboard.





4.Paint the tree green and the trunk brown.



5. Glue various decorations to the tree.



6.Sit back and enjoy the finished product.





Photobucket

17 comments:

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

That is so creative...I love the idea. Perfect kids Christmas craft for the upcoming winter break.

Unknown said...

Great idea! You know I need inspiration for my little Dude!

Unknown said...

This looks like a really fun project. I never thought to make a Christmas tree out of egg cartons. Too bad I just tossed one the other day.

Stopping by from the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop. I am a new follower and I would love for you to come check out my blog Peace Love & Poop .

Cookie’s Mom said...

LOVE this idea! I have been hanging onto a few egg cartons thinking, What do do with these? Thanks! :)

Christy said...

This looks like so much fun, I am going to have to go dig some egg cartons out of the recycling so we can do this over the weekend. My 5 yr old will love it. Thanks for the fun idea.

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

What an adorable idea! Thanks for a great holiday craft for the weekend.

Carrie Ann said...

Ok...this is totally cute! :) My sons would love to do this. Super idea!

OneMommy said...

My kids love the Duck and Goose books! And what a cute craft idea! I have trouble finding cardboard egg cartons lately... Wonder if styrofoam would work...

The Sisters' Hood said...

You so totally knock that Martha woman - and you are shackle free ;)

Jessica said...

This is such a great idea! I'm going to make this with my toddler tomorrow! Can't wait!

Emmy said...

That is so so cute!! Oh totally saving my egg cartons! I plan/hope to do one project a day while my kids are on Christmas break.

Jackie Higgins said...

Super cute! I save my egg cartons to get fresh eggs from my Grandma but we may have to use a few of them for this!!!

Unknown said...

How darling! Can't wait to try this!

kewkew said...

I agree, very creative and fun. So glad you stopped by to share at Tots and Me

Marnie Craycroft said...

We're doing this project this morning! Very cute and easy!

Janice said...

This is such a great idea! Love it!!
I found your fab blog through the Sunday Showcase linky. x

Anonymous said...

good idea ☺ many thank`s