Tuesday, May 04, 2010

What a rip off!

I just paid $3.73 for 2 (!!!) pills at the pharmacy! What the heck!? Now, granted I only have to take 2 in a month, but still....what a flippin' rip off! It's a vitamin D supplement too, for crying out loud.  Wouldn't it have been cheaper just to buy a bottle of vitamin D vitamins?! I'm not sure, maybe they are super sonic pills or something.  It just makes no sense to me.

Here's the scoop, I had my blood work done for my thyroid.  I have/had hyper thyroidism and my doctor sent me for radiation therapy last March.  I was told to wait 6 weeks after the radiation to have my blood tested again to see if the radiation worked or not.  In the meantime, my doctor retired and I couldn't find another one to go to.  A year later my regular doctor decided it would be a good time to bring up the thyroid thing again.  He sent me for blood work for my TSH levels and vitamin D level, my sugar and some other test that I don't even remember.  Everything came back normal, except my vitamin d level was really low (hence the supplement).  My thyroid level is 4.7 and he said normal range is 5.  So basically the radiation worked and I no longer have hyperthyroidism. 

When I went in to get the radiation they told me there was a chance of either A: it not working at all and I would still be hyper B.  It would work and I'd be normal or C. It would swing in the other direction and make me hypo.  I was hoping for normal.  And that's what happened.   Praise God!  Now, I just have to have my blood tested every year to check on it and hopefully everything will stay the same.  And I have to take the vitamin D supplement twice a month for two months and then one a month for who knows how long.  Wonder what one pill will cost me? LOL!

5 comments:

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Well I don't care how much it costs I'm just glad you're going to be ok. Those kids need you to be healthy. And so do we, how would I come up with crafts without you???

Thanks for coming by and making my SITS day so spectacular! Your time and words mean the world to me.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's for Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Charlene Juliani said...

Aww thanks Alex! You have been a great bloggy friend to me :D

Emmy said...

Glad everything is okay at least. And yeah that seems like a lot for two pills!

Unknown said...

In the grand scheme of things $4 is not alot of money when it comes to your health but I get what you're saying. have you asked about supplementing more naturally with foods and sunlight?
glad the outcome was a positive one!

Sharon's New Life said...

I just found out I have super low levels of Vitamin D as well, but my doctor just has me on two over-the-counter Vitamin D pills a day.
Glad to hear you got good news on the thyroid issue!
Sharon:)