Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My Poor Girl

At this point, I think it's safe (actually make that very unsafe) to say that my poor Sarah is accident prone. She gets more bumps and bruises than the boys. She is a tomboy though and she likes to do rough things, like climb trees, skate board, hang off the monkey bars, ride her bike with no hands or feet. She is my little dare devil. And she usually gets the brunt end of the stick (a few years back, she got hit in the chin by a fly ball during a baseball game - also during a game she had her finger smashed by a ball). She trips more than she walks when we go for walks. But she takes it all in stride.

This afternoon she was walking Nicholas down to the neighbor's house when she comes running into the house holding her hand with blood dripping all over the place. She very calmly....not one tear was shed....tells me that she hurt herself on her skateboard. At first she didn't explain it very well, maybe she was in a shocked state. Later, she explained that she was sitting on the skateboard and ran over her hand.

I almost threw up when I looked at her fingers. I have a very strong stomach. Like most moms I can catch puke in my hands, change a poopy diaper and then (after washing my hands of course) eat my meals. Things like that don't bother me. And usually as a CNA things of that nature is just part of the job. Seeing the elderly's skin break down where eventually they develop holes in their bodies or sometimes their flesh rots to the point that it's black or gangrene. It normally doesn't bother me, but I guess since it's my OWN kid....it gets to me.

At any rate, when I got a good look at her finger, her nail was hanging by a thread or flap of skin. I had to get Rich, because as I said I thought I was going to be sick. He looked at it and determined that the nail had to come off the rest of the way. So while I distracted Sarah, he tugged it the rest of the way off. He said he doesn't think she will ever have a finger nail on that finger again. Usually your nails grow back, but he said he doesn't think this one will.

I cleaned it up as best as I could and put a bandage on her little pinkie finger. I said that they make fake nails and if it came down to it, we could always get her some. She's holding out hope that it will grow back. I gave her some Motrin and she seemed fine afterwards. However, I think in the morning I'm calling the doctor. I'm worried that she may have some nerve damage, since she was complaining that her finger was numb. The last thing I want to see is her getting an infection and lose her finger.

If you are reading this and you believe in a higher power, please pray that Sarah will be okay. Think some good thoughts and send some our way. I believe in the power of prayer and I pray that she will definitely be okay. She is in really good spirits and I did the best I could for her, but a mom worries you know, we just can't help ourselves.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor girl! I'm so accident prone as well..my mom always told me that i would grow out of it, but I will be 27 in a couple of months and I'm still as clumsy as ever :) It makes for good blog material at least!

I definitely say a prayer for her today :)

Juliet Grossman said...

Yikes!!!!! Still unclear how that accident actually happened but URGH. Yuck. I have a 7 & 3 yr old and my three year old is VERY daring so I'm thinking your story could be mine in a few years...

Thanks for stopping by my blog on my Sits Day last week:-)

Chanda the Eco-Cheap Mom said...

Ouch! Just said a prayer. Hope everything turns out okay.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!