Wednesday, December 10, 2008

You're a Rare Thing

The other night at work an older gentlemen told me I was a rare thing. When I asked him why, he said it's because not many families are really big these days. Most people have one or two, sometimes three, but there isn't many people at all who have six children. He said back in the day it was rare not having a big family, now its the opposite. He was very polite about it. He didn't ask me a million questions about my choices or make any strange comments like most people do. I took the "rare thing" as a compliment.

Most of the time, when Rich and I mention that we have six children and that they are all ours together, people are shocked and then ask a bunch of dumb questions that we've heard so many times that we started to say really stupid things in reply.

"Do you know what causes that?" ~ Duh, don't you? Your momma DID tell you the story about the birds and the bees, right? Or Uh, Yeah and we like it.

"You have your hands full" ~ No, our hands aren't full, but our hearts are.

"Better you than me." ~ I'm glad it was me too!!

"Don't you have a TV?" ~ What the heck does a TV have to do with anything?

I think that we are very lucky to have been blessed by God.

I don't honestly think I'm a rare thing. But my family certainly is rare, a rare treasure that I cherish dearly. I'm grateful God thought I was worthy of such a big family. I know I complain alot and it isn't exactly easy, but you know what - it was worth it!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

WTF does a TV have to do with anything? I guess they meant you had nothing better to do. Maybe all these people are jealous 'cause you're getting some (or were getting some) and they've got nothing but their tv!