Thursday, October 02, 2008

Who hid the remote?

Everytime I go to work and come home the remote control is missing! Without fail....every.single.time.

We have six televisions in our house. Each of the kids rooms (they are doubled up in bedrooms; girls, boys, boys) has a tv, the familyroom has a tv, the living room has the big screen and Rich and I have a plasma tv that hangs on our sitting room wall. Most of the time, the kids end up in the living room watching the big screen.

When we first got the tv (about 4 years ago, when we moved into this house), it came with a super duper remote. That thing flipped opened and had controls for a dvd player, controls to change the screen (wide, movie, normal, etc.) and a lot of other cool features.

Of course the kids broke it and it costs $50 to replace.

Yeah that ain't happening!

So the remote to the tv is broken. However, we have cable. The living room has a cable box with all the channels (which is why the kids want to watch tv in there), and our tv has a dvr system (if you aren't up on your cable lingo - this system is wicked! You can record tv programs, and pause the tv program if you need a potty break and then come back and hit play and continue watching your show - right where you left off. No more missing things. The rest of the televisions in the house just have basic cable (2 - 70 channels or something like that).

The cable boxes in the living room and the master suite come with remotes. The living room remote is always missing - Always! I swear the kids hide it from each other, thinking that if they hold the remote, they can control the tv. It's insane! I went to work today with the remote sitting on top of the tv. And I came home and its gone....

I think from now on when I have to leave for work, I'm going to hide the remote! That way when I get home I'll know exactly where it is!!

Remote, remote, come out , come out where ever you are.........

8 comments:

~B. said...

Don't you wish that the TV had a "find remote" button or something...which would make the remote beep from whatever hidden spot it found itself?

Anonymous said...

We have that problem at our house too. I told the kids I was going to tether it to the tv, so it could only be 2 feet from the tv at all times.

Linda S said...

I actually purchased the search buttons from sharper image once. you glue it to the remote. and then you can push a button and it beeps. We did it with our phone handsets too. then we lost the main base of the clicker thingy and that was shot. but it worked for a while.

why don't they just build it into the tv and we can get off our butts and change the channels like we did in the olden days?

FarmGirl said...

It drives me batty too...but I love LOVE our DVR. It has been my saving grace, cuz at least now while we are on "the hunt" I won't be missing out on anything!!

nanaygin said...

There's only three of us in our house (me, hubby, and Ki) and we still have the same problem. My baby just realize that whoever has the remote gets to control the TV so she's been hiding it from us...if not the whole thing, atleast the batteries.

TxGambit said...

We have the same problem.... Remember when TVs didn't have remotes? No... me neither. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've watched live tv since I got my DVR. I love it! I don't stay up very late anymore so I just watch all my night shows the next day.

DeeDee said...

The best place I ever found ours was in the backseat of the car between the seat cushions. lol Good luck finding it. :)